UBC Ceremonies and Events has a variety of roles for volunteers at UBC Congregation:
- Macebearer* – Leads the Chancellor’s Procession and carries the Mace (view detailed instructions)
- Faculty Marshal* – Leads the Faculty Procession and assists with doctoral candidates on stage (view detailed instructions)
- Student Marshal – Assembles and leads graduands from the robing area to the Chan Centre and assists graduands across stage (view detailed instructions)
- Student Ushers – Assists graduands at the Chan Centre with late arrival, priority seating and leaving stage (view detailed instructions)
- General Event Volunteer – Assists with various roles at the Chan Centre and/or Graduate Student Centre. Roles include: greeting platform party members, providing directions and information to graduates and their guests, staffing shuttle bus stop.
- Alumni Centre Greeters (shifts are approximately 2.5-3 hours) – Assists with the Alumni Welcome Reception at the Robert H. Lee Alumni Centre during graduation. Duties include: greeting and congratulating all alumni and their guests upon arrival; tracking number of attendees and providing general information; monitoring site cleanliness, etc. Visit the alumni UBC website to register for this opportunity.
*Macebearer and Faculty Marshal roles are limited to members of Faculty and Emeriti only.
Please note that volunteers will be required to arrive 30-45 minutes BEFORE the start of any ceremony depending on role – see the congregation schedule.
Register to Volunteer: Macebearer, Faculty Marshal, Student Marshal, Student Usher
Volunteer registration will open to all UBC staff, faculty and professors emeriti in the near future. We would be delighted for you to join us for this memorable occasion!
Once we receive your registration, the Ceremonies and Events Office will assess needs and confirm volunteers before Fall Congregation 2018. Please note that no roles are guaranteed until you hear back from the Ceremonies and Events Office. Kindly, tentatively hold the date(s) you have indicated your availability for.
There will be a mandatory training session for volunteers on Monday November 19, 2018.
Registration is now closed.