Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any other questions not answered here, please contact UBC Ceremonies & Events.

How do I get my composite photo (Grad class) and graduation photos?

  • Each department makes separate arrangements to have composite photos that are often framed and hung in their premises.  Please contact the undergraduate coordinator in your program for more information.
  • The Ceremonies Office (that’s us) works with Grad Images on your graduation day.  Each graduate for whom Grad Images has an email and/or mailing address should receive a copy of their proofs within a few days.  Grad Images’ Customer Service Department will assist you with anything you need regarding your photos:  (800) 261-2576, online at, or email

To attend graduation, my family needs a letter of invitation for their visa applications.  Can you provide this?

UBC does not provide invitation letters.  You can write a letter yourself, inviting your family to come to your graduation.   A template for a letter of invitation can be found here
‘Program Completion letters’ to be included as proof of graduation can be downloaded from the student service centre under ‘grades’ or provided by your Faculty.

How can I get my diploma?  My plans changed and I wasn’t able to attend my ceremony.

All diplomas are handled by Enrolment Services at Brock Hall.  To have your diploma mailed or pick up in person,  please contact Enrolment Graduation or call 604-822-9836.

I am graduating with a Dual Degree, what are my options for attending the graduation ceremonies?

Scheduling of Dual Degrees is handled on an individual basis.  You must contact Enrolment Graduation

I am graduating with a Double Major, which ceremony should I attend?

You have been assigned to attend the ceremony for the first major that is listed on your student record; e.g. if your double major is French and Economics, you are assigned to French.  To check your student record, log into the Student Service Centre (SSC), select “Registration,” and then “My Program.”

I am not able to attend my graduation ceremony this term (Spring/Fall). Can I attend the next one around?

Students should attend the ceremony for which they are graduating. Extenuating circumstances around ceremony scheduling should be directed to Enrolment Graduation.

My degree is listed incorrectly, what should I do?

Contact the Graduation department of Enrolment Services at Enrolment Graduation.

How long do the ceremonies last?

Ceremonies run approximately 75 minutes, depending on the number of students graduating.

Can I use tickets from a classmate who is not attending graduation?

Due to the large number of graduates in some ceremonies, we would appreciate if you would return unused tickets to the Chan Centre Ticket office. If you are unable to bring the tickets in person, please email

I have tickets, but now I find that I am ineligible to graduate – what do I do with my tickets?

Due to the large number of graduates in some ceremonies, we would appreciate if you would return unused tickets to the Chan Centre Ticket office. If you are unable to bring the tickets in person, please email

How do I get extra tickets?

Due to the large number of graduates in each procession and limited seating, each student can request up to a maximum of two (2) guest tickets (graduating students DO NOT require a ticket for themselves).
After the ticket request deadline has passed, the UBC Ceremonies Office in conjunction with the Chan Centre for the Performing Arts makes every effort to provide extra tickets if available. More information is posted on the Grad Tickets Request page when available.

Are my tickets for reserved seats or general admission?

Seating for all graduation ceremonies is GENERAL ADMISSION and is on a first-come, first served basis.

Do my guests need tickets for Congregation? Even small children?

Yes. Each guest, including children and infant who might sit on your lap, needs to have a ticket.  The ticketing system is designed to ensure everyone’s safety; Fire Regulations dictate the maximum number of people, big or small, who may occupy the room at one time.

I cannot pick up my tickets in person, what can I do?

If you are unable to pick up your tickets they will be held for you up to 30 minutes before the start of your ceremony. Please note we encourage everyone to pick up their tickets early to avoid long lineups and delays.
If you are unable to pick up your tickets in person, a friend or family member may pick them up for you as long as they have:
a copy of your student card

What is the Stand by line up?

If your ceremony is sold out, your guests are welcome to come early and wait in the Stand by line up in case last-minute non-attendance.   It is recommended that you line up at least half an hour before the ceremony begins.

I am a person with special needs – who should I contact?

For further information concerning arrangements for special needs (i.e. mobility assistance, captioning, interpreting services, etc.) please contact the Access & Diversity at 604.822.5844 at least two weeks prior to your ceremony.
For information concerning special needs parking arrangements please call UBC Ceremonies & Events at 604.822.2484.

I am confused about my graduation status on my SSC?

For all inquiries about your graduation status (Applied, Approved, Not approve, Pending and Pending Approve).  Please contact your faculty advisor.

I am not able to attend my ceremony, what should I do?

Inform Enrolment Services by emailing them at Enrolment Graduation.

My plans have changed, and I want to attend graduation, but the option to apply through my CWL is no longer available. What can I do?

Email your request to Enrolment Services at Enrolment Graduation.

What is a procession number?

This is the order in which you’ll cross the stage at your ceremony. Your procession # is listed in the Graduation Summary Details in your Graduation Application. Access your Graduation Application to find your procession number.

I have not rented my gown yet, what do I need to do and who do I contact?

Please contact UBC Bookstore Gown Rentals at  For full information, please visit the UBC Bookstore’s student gown rental FAQ page.

Where should my family and friends meet me after the ceremony is over?

The Reception takes place at the Flagpole Plaza after each ceremony. Your guests can meet you at the following booths:

  • UBC Bookstore tent
  • GradImages Photo tent

I graduated from UBC Okanagan and moved to Vancouver.  Can I receive my degree at a ceremony in Vancouver?

Unfortunately, students must attend ceremonies at their home campus.

Are the ceremonies videotaped or photographed?

All ceremonies are photographed and videotaped. For information regard ordering a video of your ceremony please go to this page, where you will be taken to an online order form

What should I wear?

Glad you asked!  Rule of thumb – wear what would make your parents proud, and remember, you’ll be looking at these pictures for a long time.
You will be given a loose-fitting, black, below-knee-length gown to wear over your street clothes. The gown is warm, and it will cover most of your clothing, but your collar (and necktie) will be visible, as will your legs and feet, especially when you walk across the stage to receive your diploma.  Handbags are not part of the academic regalia; if you must bring one, you will be asked to leave it at your seat.  Some prefer to bring a very small one with a shoulder strap that can be worn underneath the gown.

Are cameras and video recorders allowed at the Graduation ceremony?

Yes, your guests can bring their cameras and recording devices as long as they stay at their seat while doing this.

I am a UBC graduate and I would like to purchase UBC’s official regalia (i.e. hood, cap and gown). Where can I purchase this?

You can purchase UBC regalia (i.e. gowns, hoods, caps, Ph.D. regalia, etc.) at Gaspard & Sons Ltd.